With all the SXSW info, pictures and tweets I keep seeing, I have been getting a tiny bit jealous. So instead of thinking about how I could be there but I’m not, I though about how I’m going to Coachella in about a month. So exciting! It will be my first time. I’m so happy about it and grateful for the opportunity.
When I looked over the set list initially, I was excited to see Aloe Blacc’s name because of his singles “I Need A Dollar,” “The Man” and his and for writing and performing vocals on DJ Avicii’s “Wake Me Up.” But I didn’t know anything about him besides those songs I had heard on the radio. Last night I learned a little more and I’m glad I did.
Here are five things I learned from reading the Aloe Blacc Wikipedia page last night. (Sorry for citing Wikipedia. Just being honest here, guys.)
- He is from Laguna Hills, California. That’s in Orange County.
- He graduated from the University of Southern California (USC).
- He is married to Mexican-Australian rapper Maya Jupiter and they have a baby girl.
- He is actively involved in philanthropy.
- His album Lift Your Spirit comes out Tuesday, March 11.
Also, the man has got soul. It’s in his music and it’s also in his videos. I cried watching Aloe Blacc’s official video for Wake Me Up, which is embedded below.
Image from USA Today.